Tramadol is a man-made pain reliever which is sold under the brand name of Ultram. This drug is effective in both acute and chronic pain and treats moderate to severe pain. Tramadol is not a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), hence, it does not have the increased risk of stomach ulcers and internal bleeding that can occur with other NSAIDs. The pain gets absorbed in the body quickly and starts working in less time. The exact working mechanism of the pain med is not known but Researchers and doctors have said that it is similar to morphine. Like morphine, Tramadol binds to receptors in the brain (narcotic or opioid receptors) that are important for transmitting the sensation of pain from throughout the body to the brain. This how the painkiller works inside our body to treat pain.
Highlighting the Advantages
Some of the benefits that this pain med has are
• The pain has minimum and short-term side effects. The effects are also tolerable and temporary
• It gives you an instant relief in pain for e.g.- if in the middle of the work, you suddenly get a pain sensation then just grab the medicine with a glass of water, and you are good to go.
• It serves an equal purpose in both the pain condition be it acute or chronic pain. It is a solution to both the pain problems
• Tramadol is used to manage moderate to moderately severe pain
• It is advisable to take the medicine under the proper supervision of a doctor, so you can enjoy the benefits of the pain med
Tramadol is Schedule IV controlled substance, which means it is associated with addiction. The pain is a narcotic and can form addiction or Habit- Forming. So it is advisable to take the medicine with proper doctor’s guidance. If the pain med is taken for quite a long time, then it may develop withdrawal symptoms if the dose is reduced or suddenly stopped.
Some of the withdrawal symptoms include-
• Muscle pain
• A backache
• Joint pain
• Abdominal cramps
• Excessive tear production
Before dosing the medicine consult your doctor and follow the prescription thoroughly. Here is the general guideline as to how you can intake the medicine-
• To begin with, the dose, start with 25 mg which is advisable and then gradually you can increase
• You can take the medicine with food or without food as advisable by your physician
• The dose of the pain med should be 50-100 mg; the maximum increased dose can be up to 400 mg per day
• You should not prolong use the medicine; it can have an adverse effect.
What are the Side- Effects?
The side –effects of Tramadol has generally well tolerated as well as the side effects are usually temporary.
Common side effects include-
• A headache
Fewer side effects include
• Visual disturbances
• Dry mouth